Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Looking for the meaning…with Henry Ford


I’m hoping that everyone has bouts of time spent meandering in wonderment of what’s next.  And why it’s next.  And what the perception of other is of me individually and as a contributor to a working environment.
I’m a huge believer that everything happens for a reason. EVERYTHING! This helps in my natural ability to look at everything in a positive fashion.  Sure, there are days when positivity is lost on me, yet for the most part I don’t allow negativity to succumb to the happy-time palace that exists in my head. Today I needed a little extra self-encouragement after a series of short conversations that left me feeling blah.  I started by looking for a Henry Ford quote about not needing to know everything but knowing where to find it.  What I did find was a list of amazing and inspirational quotes.  He’s a smart man! And today, I may need to take heed to his winsomely experience:
“It has been my observation that most people get ahead during the time that others waste.” -Henry Ford
He’s right, and even though I’ve always been more effective and efficient than my counterparts, I should leverage every extra minute to differentiate myself and then instead of holding onto it selfishly: share it.  It’s just that being the best whilst still chatting with friends is so much more fun!
Timing is ironic.  So is the title of Alanis Morissette’s song.  

One of the results of one of the conversations today lead me to reminisce in the familiar feeling of not having enough money. What I would do if money weren’t an issue? As I found my old travel journal, a Henry Ford quote tied my thoughts together.
“If money is your hope for independence you will never have it. The only real security that a man will have in this world is a reserve of knowledge, experience, and ability.” -Henry Ford
Below is an excerpt from my journal I kept during my two years of travel across the country. 
From September 5th, 2011:
[If I had the money] then, then I could really do what I love.  I could explore school, or I could work on my art and start an Etsy page.  I could research and develop a business plan.  I can do me.  I can fulfill my creative side.  Anything.  Money is a huge driver and that sucks.  If it weren’t about money, I’d go back to school, study fine art and culinary arts, and open my own kitchy restaurant/bakery/art studio in West Seattle.  Now we’re talking.  I’d be willing to put in a good three hard years to accomplish a successfully running business. I’m realistic though.  I know businesses fail.  So the realistic part of me wants to keep a corporate job and pay the bills.  That’s not me.  Maybe that’s what I’m really struggling with.
. .
. . .
. .
Why do I have a million wonderful ideas?  None of which result in anything constructive.  I never finish projects.  Time/life/business get in the way.  That’s not fair.  I think of the grandma on the TV show Parenthood..  She’s artsy and she’s allowed her creative side be her.  And they have a wonderful family and a beautiful house with amazing plants everywhere and a wrap around porch.  And an art studio.  A real art studio.
Boo.
Money.
Boo.

The good news is that this year and not shopping has really allowed me to free up time I haven’t previously had.  That together with the whole not travelling anymore bit really helps!  It reminds me that when I put my mind to it, I can accomplish great things!

“If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right.” -Henry Ford
I can’t allow what other say eat at me.  I also can’t let work take over.  I can’t let what people speculate or gossip about run my actions.  If there’s a problem, ‘yo, I’ll solve it!’ I assist in alleviating other’s stress and drama and difficulties, why can’t I do it for myself? The answer, Mr. Ford, is I CAN!
Who would’ve thought Mr. Ford could speak so eloquently and timely to me 65 years later? I feel like I’m Thomas Edison, an everyday buddy chatting it up about life’s mysteries!
And now it’s time for:
Final thoughts by [Henry Ford]!
“Life is a series of experiences, each one of which makes us bigger, even though sometimes it is hard to realize this. For the world was built to develop character, and we must learn that the setbacks and grieves which we endure help us in our marching onward.” -Henry Ford

1 comment:

  1. You are a special person. You know that, right?

    I need to introduce you to one of my favorite people ever. She recently started doing webinars and such, that deal with empowering women who deal with feelings of scarcity. I subscribe to her free stuff. I think you'd love it. I'll send you her link thing.

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I hope you can find your dreams.

    ReplyDelete