Monday, January 16, 2012


Here it is, a photodocumentation of my life in excess! 
1. Don't Judge
2. If you have creative organizing/ridding ideas, let me know
3. When should we schedule a friend's clothing exchange? 

I thought I'd learn new habits living out of 2 suitcases for nearly two years, but here is evidence of the contrary: My hotel in , Tyson's Corner, VA. (the Washington DC area.)
Below is me moving hotels from Virginia to Maryland...Good thing I didn't have to fly, me and my clothing/toiletries wouldn't have made it in the allotted 2 checked and 1.5 carry-on limit.  Who imposed that limit anyway? Also, here is my partner in crime, Lianne.  As my partner, you are responsible for part of the blame! The photo on the right is the result of our one day Tyson's corner mall shopping trip.  

A quick weekend trip home in September 2011 provided the motivation to go through my closet and get rid of anything that didn't fit or that I no longer wanted.  Here are the closet purging results: 

Below is from a trip to the mall to return 2 things.  I came out with much more than I went in with: 
I wish I would have taken a picture of all the items stacked up next to the car, but here's the damage of what I brought home to Vancouver/Portland for Christmas Vacation: 

Since committing to not shopping in 2012, 
these are the things that have arrived at my doorstep (ordered pre 2012): 
My shoe closets: 

Vests.  I know, slightly embarrassing so I'll refer you to rule #1. And outerwear: 


Half un-worn
So many socks!
Tights + Nylons
More than 365!

 Bathing Suits: there aren't enough days of sun in Seattle to warrant this addiction! 
Outside of clothing: 
I bought a Husky scrapbook not knowing I had one at home. 

Unplayed Board Games

Unfinished painting projects

Empty picture frames and unfinished projects

Cookie Cutters

Wrapping Paper: not even half my collection

Frames missing photos

Wrapping Paper

More empty frames...

And there you have it... the photo evidince of my over-buying, bad memory, unfinished projects, and excess that caused my 2012 revolution.  So to those of you that said "She can't do it!" or "You'll break down!" or "You're not buying ANYTHING?" and "You're crazy!" I say to you:
"Watch me do it! I can survive without purchasing more of what I already have too much of! I will have more time to finish projects, organize, exercise, and blog! The frist 17 days have been great, I'm looking forward to 349 more!"


  1. Is your rule only to not spend on yourself? Because you're more than welcome to spoil us this weekend! Wow! I didn't realize your shopping addiction was so bad. Isn't there an actual shoppers anonymous group? Maybe you should join. Or better yet, take my previous suggestion of 10% of what you "would have" spent goes to the Stephanie Wright foundation while the other 90% goes straight towards any of your debts. Careful, because extra "free" money has a way of getting spent. You might find you want to eat out more or do more fun trips and such. I think if you can quantify what you are not spending and apply it to something else you will have more incentive to keep it up. (Oh, and the Stephanie fund, can always go straight to one of our ccs, instead of putting me in cute clothes!)

    Love you SIS! Can't wait to see you soon.

  2. It's not about saving money or not spending on myself. Its about appreciating what I have and finding new and different ways to use it. :)

    But the saved money is going toward my car payment and the rest toward vacation fund and toward baby savings. :)

    I do like your Stephanie Wright foundation though! :)

  3. Lindsay, I am seriously LOVING your blog! Keep it up girl, so proud of you! You are a great writer, and so funny! I'm very impressed!

  4. You go girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (I think the above is an excessive amount of exclamation points!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

  5. Had to laugh when I saw the wrapping paper. I still have your wrapping paper standup tub (full) & box of ribbons @ my home from Christmas 2010. 2011 Christmas you left behind 6 more rolls of wrapping paper and another large tub of ribbon & bows. I'd say you have enough Christmas wrap to last a few years. You just need to get them out of my house!

  6. Karla, I'll get it next time we are down! :-)