- Invite a friend. This friend has requirements. He/She needs to be honest and perhaps bold, because this friend’s job is very important. The YES or NO pile friend. Wine or loud music may be necessary!
- Go through each piece of clothing, hold it out, and ask yourself (or your designated friend) - Do I like this? Does it fit? Do I feel good when I wear it? Is it broken or old or seams coming out? Is it still in fashion or is it classic/vintagy?
- If you answer NO to any of these, put it in one of three piles:
- Don’t keep ANYTHING that doesn’t fit now. No “motivation” items. No “but it used to fit!” or “when I lose 10 pounds…” etc. The only exception is for pregnancy. You can keep a few chosen items for pregnancy and if you’re currently in pregnant clothes, you can keep your REALISTIC pre-pregnancy clothing.
- Once it’s in the give-a-way pile, keep it there and get rid of it ASAP! No rummaging through the NO pile! You can box it up and write what/where it’s going.
- Organize some way, shape, or form. That could be organizing by color, or by size, or by long sleeve vs. short sleeve. Or Winter vs. Summer. It doesn’t matter how as long as it feels organized to you.
- Face all clothing in one direction
- Have fun with it and know that you’ll feel better when you’re finished!
Final thoughts by Lindsay: